Coronavirus - information and links in multiple languages

With our behaviour, everyone of us can contribute to protecting ourselves, the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions against the coronavirus. The government has taken measures to contain the spread of the virus, to avoid a breakdown of the healthcare system and to mitigate the economic impact of the pandemic. The federal government publishes information on the current state of affairs regarding the coronavirus on various channels and in various languages. Here’s an overview of the most important decisions and topics.

Grafische Darstellung des Coronavirus mit dem Text "Was Sie jetzt über Corona wissen müssen" - Verhaltenstipps, Arbeitsrecht und Reisebestimmungen auf einen Blick"
Foto: Federal Government Commissioner for Migration, Refugees and Integration

Health and tips on conduct

Just like previously, the following applies: Keep contact with others to a minimum wherever possible and limit yourself to a constant group of people.

What remains important: Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres to other people, wash your hands regularly and thoroughly, cover your mouth and nose, and air rooms regularly. Masks (OP or FFP type) must currently be worn on public transport and in shops. Each federal state is to decide if this precaution shall remain in effect. 

The 3G-Rule is in place: Entry to events in indoor spaces and to institutions such as hospitals, old people's and care homes, indoor catering, hairdressers or beauty salons, as well as indoor sport or hotels guest houses only for vaccinated (geimpft), tested (getestet), and recovered (genesen) persons. A test must be a Rapid Antigen Test taken less than 24 hours beforehand or a PCR Test taken less than 48 hours beforehand. This obligation does not apply to school children or children under the age of 6.

In districts with a low incidence rate, the federal states may decide to partially or fully suspend the 3G-Rule.

Tests at your own expense: From the 11th October 2021, general COVID tests will be at your own expense. Tests remain free for those who are unable to be vaccinated or for whom a vaccination is not generally recommended, in particular pregnant people, children, and young people under the age of 12. 

Tips on health and on conduct can be found in several languages at the  Federal Ministry of Health.

Use the federal government’s  Corona Warning app like millions of other people in Germany. The more people participate, the more effectively the app can protect us.

Observe the rules that are applicable for your  Bundesland.

Frequently asked questions
(Source: Federal government)

Advice for people who are not sick and are in quarantine following consultation with the health authority
(Source: Robert Koch Institute)

Coronavirus protective vaccine

By getting vaccinated with the coronavirus protective vaccine, you help protect yourself, your family and the most vulnerable members of our society. Anyone who resides in Germany, is ordinarily resident in Germany or works in certain care facilities in Germany but does not live in Germany has the right to get the vaccine.

Getting vaccinated is voluntary and the vaccine is administered free of charge in vaccination centres or at doctor’s offices. By calling 116 117, you can find out when and where you can get vaccinated. 

If you have been vaccinated, your coronavirus vaccination can be digitally documented. The electronic certificate can be generated in a medical practice, pharmacy or in a vaccination centre. Once the data has been entered or assumed from another source, a QR code is generated. Vaccinated persons can then scan it using the  CovPass-App or the  Corona-Warn-App and prove their vaccination status via QR code.

The vaccines have been checked thoroughly with regards to tolerability, safety and efficacy. Even after vaccination, the following applies: Keeping your distance and wearing a mask is mandatory!

Information on the vaccination ordinance
(Source: Federal Ministry of Health)

Information on vaccination
(Source: Robert Koch Institute)

Work and money

All companies are obliged to offer tests twice a week to employees that do not work exclusively from home.

Protection against dismissal also applies during the coronavirus pandemic. If your employer has mandated short-time work, you can receive a short-time allowance for up to 24 months. It can be up to 87% of your loss of earnings. The Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs provides information on labour law issues in several languages.

There is also support for companies, regardless of how big they are. There are loans, subsidies or tax concessions. All information on this is available from the Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy.

Students under acute financial strain can apply for a subsidy from their student services (Studierendenwerk). It amounts to up to 500 euros each month. Furthermore, there is the KfW student loan, which is also available to foreign students.

Information for workers

For many people, change the situation at work because of the corona pandamic: employers orders short-time work, order homeoffice or people have to look to their children which at home. All information are here:

Seasonal work during the coronavirus pandemic PDF, 255 KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
(Source: Office for the Equal Treatment of EU Workers)

Information about corona and labour law 
(source: Fair mobility)

Multilingual information about Corvid-19 and mini-job
(source: BemA Sachsen-Anhalt)

Information for self-employed and companies

You are self-employed and need support to survive the economic bottlenecks caused by the corona pandemic: Here you can find information on measures such as short-time work benefits, liquidity support and tax deferral.

Advice for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) & self-employed persons
(Source: Competence Centre on Migrant Entrepreneurship in the network “Integration through Qualification (IQ)”)

Funding instruments of the Federal Government and the Federal States to overcome the corona crisis
(source: IQ Fachstelle - Migrantenökonomie)

Information on support available to companies and workers
(source: Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy) 

KfW coronavirus aid: loans for companies
(Source: KfW group)


Generally, travel that is not essential should be avoided. Individual states, even within the EU, may continue to restrict entry or prescribe quarantine upon entry. Before you travel, please familiarise yourself with the current entry restrictions and border controls with the  Federal Foreign Office and with the  Federal Ministry of the Interior.

Anyone wishing to enter Germany from a region designated as a high-risk area or a virus variant area must complete a  digital entry registration form.

The countries to which this applies are listed by the  Robert Koch Institute, and this information is updated daily. 

Before arrival: You must be able to provide evidence of a negative test, vaccination or recovered status whenever you arrive from another country. (The test may be a PCR or an antigen test). All persons who are 12 years of age and up must provide such proof upon entering the country. 

A lab test (PCR, PoC-PCR) is accepted as proof for having recovered from coronavirus, provided that the test is at least 28 days old and not older than 6 months. The full vaccination must have been received at least 14 days ago.

After arrival: Generally, all persons arriving from a virus variant area must enter into quarantine at home for a period of 14 days. All persons entering the country from a high-risk area must enter quarantine at home for a period of 10 days. This shall not apply to those persons who are vaccinated or who have recovered from a COVID-19 infection. This quarantine may be terminated on the fifth day if evidence of a further test can be provided. 

You can find all the information from the  Federal Ministry of Health.

Re-open EU
(Source: European Union)

Protection against violence

Free support hotline (08000 116 016), consultation via chat and email  on domestic violence PDF, 501 KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
(Source: Bundesamt für Familie und zivilgesellschaftliche Aufgaben - Federal Office for the family and duties related to the civil society)

Advice in case of physical and sexual abuse
(Source: The Independent Commissioner for Child Sexual Abuse Issues (UBSKM))